Wednesday, January 9, 2008

autumn island girl

you ever get a cup of coffee that's had too much sugar in it? you ask for a single teaspoon but it seems like you got three? that's what this song is kind of like. it's so sweet you'll be in a diabetic coma by the time it hits the guitar solo. that aside, it's fun to write things like this sometimes, as long as they're evened out by songs like "dracula cannon" (see post with creepy vampire picture).

i'd been listening to the beach boys classic "surfer girl" a lot when this came about and wanted to make a song in the same vein, but i couldn't find the right subject matter to go on about. it struck me when i was visiting a good friend of mine in nashville; she took me to this neat little eatery and i got an overpriced avocado sandwich called the "island girl". *BAM!* i just took that and ran.

autumn island girl




so on the surface, i guess it's supposed to be evocative of a scene like this...








...but it really owes its existence to this tasty concoction.





more later, including drawings of a hypothetical live version of my band lovingly rendered in microsoft paint.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel kinda awkward cause it seems like I'm the only person who comments, but I gotta say it. Your songs have made it onto my ipod, and have been rockin my socks off lately. By the way I would've taken your offer to come to your coffee shop, but I'm not in town at the moment. I picked up House Arrest and it rules, plain and simply the guy's a genius.

ominous castle said...

think of it this way: if you are the only person that comments (and madeline too!) then i make songs and post them just for you guys. i'd still do it even if there were no comments because it's neat to have this as an archive to look back on one day, y'know? when i fall of the horse with this thing i'll forget about it, and then assuming skynet doesn't rise up and take over by the time i have kids, i'll be able to show this to them one day and be like "this is what your dad did in his early twenties". and then they will blow me off to play video games. but that's cool!

but hey, for the moment, thank you very, very much for listening.

Anonymous said...

i post. i just fixed the busted speakers on my computer and i'll be able to listen to this song. i am excited. Sure i could listen to it on my ipod, but i'm usually terrible about listening to anything but my old-ass playlists.

Anonymous said...

p.s. i absolutely LOVE avocado.

Anonymous said...

madeline, your healing music song was pretty incredible. Thanks for sharing your story.