Saturday, January 5, 2008

the sonic stylings of benjamin chapman

here's another song that me and ben did some time ago. all the things that me and him do together are done in my dad's basement in the wee hours of the morning amidst a haze of thick smoke. the process generally leads to a lot of sitting around and reading ancient issues of spin and rolling stone in between takes. for this song in particular he had the chords and beat me to a vocal melody, so i mainly just handled production. the mix is muddy (like most things from our basement sessions) but as always, he's totally on fire with song songwriting skillz so i think it's still very much worth posting.

your love isn't our love

here's a picture of him, for visual reference. i think this is from his college graduation (maybe?) and is one of my favorite pictures of anyone ever.
many years ago, on my first day at the school where i spent the majority of my adolescence, he was the first person to come up to me and be like "hey, nice radiohead shirt!" and he has since seen me come from awkward kid who could barely hold a guitar to the awkward kid who can kind of hold down frets i am now. here are some things he has done on his own (which i am constantly blown away by):

ben - haunt the crowd
ben - seen you
ben - collecting

just as i moved to atlanta, he's about to move to north carolina with his girlfriend. once he gets in the swing of payin' the bills, i wish more than anything that he gets a computer or some other means of recording so he can keep making more jams. i'm considering holding a telethon to raise money for it, jerry lewis style.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benjamin is quite the musician from what I hear, very good indeed

ominous castle said...

i know, right? he's one of the more talented people i've come across. (he's a hell of a skateboarder too!) sorry about the link to "collecting".. mediafire totally won't cooperate with the file. i don't know why! i'll keep trying, though.